Should I Rent or Buy?Deciding whether to rent or buy a home can be a difficult decision to make and requires careful thought and preparation. Many people who rent their homes may not realize that homeownership may be within their reach. At the same time, there are numerous costs and responsibilities associated with homeownership that, as renters, you may not be aware of. Rhode Island Housing can help you make a safe, informed decision that’s right for you.
Your income, savings and monthly expenses all play a role in determining what you can afford and whether renting or buying a home makes sense for you. To calculate how much you can safely afford, click here.
Help Renting a Home
Rhode Island Housing has many ways to help you find a safe and healthy home you can afford to rent.
• Find A Home Online
– www.HomeLocatorRI.net for a continually updated list of homes that you can afford to rent or buy.
– RILiving.com offers the state's most accurate, current and comprehensive list of home available in all price ranges.
• Rental Assistance
– Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program
– Section 8 Subsidized Apartments (Project-based)
– Family Self-Sufficiency Program
– Project Based Voucher Program
Help Moving From Renter to Homeowner
If you have been renting your home for some time using a Section 8 voucher and think you are ready to buy and keep a home of your own, we may be able to help with our Section 8 to Homeownership Program.