At Rhode Island Housing, you can play an important role to ensure that all people who live or work in Rhode Island can afford a safe, healthy home that meets their needs. Our belief is that a home encompasses much more than four walls and a roof. A good home provides the foundation upon which families can thrive, children can learn and grow, and communities can prosper.
Join us as an Underwriter for our Homeownership Division. This position is accountable for ensuring that all loans made through the Homeownership Division conform to federal/state regulations, IRS regulations and Rhode Island Housing program requirements through prudent analysis of program required documentation and appraisals, credit reports, and income analysis.
- • Perform the credit decision function within the Homeownership Division to ensure that all loans are in compliance with IRS, federal/state regulations and program requirements.
- Approve, reject, suspend, or return the loan applications based on prudent underwriting decisions.
- Works with sales force to review loan scenarios to determine if Rhode Island Housing can entertain a live application.
- On a rotating basis, serves as an instructor for weekly homebuyer education classes.
- Participates in housing fairs and other division outreach programs by reviewing participant’s financial situation and directing them accordingly. The incumbent performs special projects and research as assigned.
- Minimum five years experience in underwriting residential mortgage loans.
- Demonstrate a commitment to serve borrowers in need of a safe and affordable home.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Organized with strong time management skills.
- Strong analytical, computer and problem-solving skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, real estate or related field; FHA direct endorsement designation.
For more than 40 years, Rhode Island Housing has been making it easier for people to make Rhode Island their home. We provide low-interest loans, grants, education, advocacy and consumer counseling to help our customers rent, buy and retain their homes. We also offer special programs to ensure that these homes are safe and healthy. From our rental assistance, Homebuyer Education and safe, affordable mortgages to our partnerships with developers and our work with non-profit community organizations, Rhode Island Housing is the state’s leading resource for housing needs.
We offer competitive salaries and generous benefits including medical, dental and vision insurance, life and AD&D insurance, short- and long-term disability insurance, pension plan, deferred compensation plan, paid vacation, education reimbursement and transportation subsidy.